Friday, April 14, 2017

Summer on the Shore

It looks like I'll have another summer season of shorebird conservation! I'm very excited to be protecting birds along the Atlantic coast again this year. My  2017 season will be in Virginia on the eastern shore. I'll be living on the Delmarva peninsula, an interesting peninsula that isn't connected to mainland Virginia.

I will be working with the same species as last year with a few additions! The best explanation can be found in this video and elsewhere on this page.




What exactly is my life/what do I do/am I always just traveling? Good questions - I've been asked those many times in the last few years.

I'm sort of trying to figure out what I'm doing myself. I graduated college 3 years ago and am hoping to enter a Master's program soon. In this hiatus between formal education I'm trying to get as much experience possible. Though it isn't necessarily ideal to be moving from one seasonal job to another, it is a great opportunity to try out different agencies, different types of jobs, and different areas of the country. It is sort of like spurts of extended vacation, but I do work my butt off while on 'vacation'. I specialize in beach nesting birds which migrate and nest between April and July. The birds' schedule means I am really busy while they're getting busy, but slow the rest of the year. I'm truly enjoying this period of my life when I don't have commitments at home (i.e. house, boyfriend, kids) and can be known as a nomad and take every opportunity that comes my way. I am learning a lot about myself, my ability to jump headfirst into new situations, and what I want the rest of my life to resemble.

I'll write more later about how I got where I am, but that sums up why my life appears like I'm always on vacation :)

1 comment:

  1. Our friend Annette was telling us about your work...interesting blog...good luck with your research

    ReplyDelete