Thursday, April 20, 2017

Bald Eagles

Today I saw something pretty awesome.

I've been lucky to have seen a lot of bald eagles in my life and can account to this day many of these sightings: I remember seeing a baldie nest on an Ecology field trip in Proctor, there was a nice nest spotted from the road in the Grand Tetons and we shared our scope with some French tourists, we saw a huge nest over the swelling Red River while we rode a john boat, I had a pair swoop down around me in a sculpture garden in Seattle last month, and recently we had a giant bald eagle flying so close to us we could hear its wings beat as we floated down the Illinois River. 


The craziest and closest nest I've ever seen was today on a barrier island. This pair has been nesting on the ground for several years now and appear to have fledged one chick this round. Seeing the chick and the parents in this coastal habitat was pretty memorable.



Usually bald eagles choose trees up in the canopy to build their 4-5 foot wide nests, so it was so strange to see this big nest on the ground - and on sand no less!



And I'm only on week 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment