Sunday, June 18, 2017

Not a Bad Gig



My cousin Susan was here this weekend and she asked me what my favorite part of living here was. My answer: my job. I love the boat rides, being out on uninhabited barrier island, keeping track of all the birds, and seeing so many cool things out on the beach.

I sometimes take for granted how cool it is to work on the ocean every day when many people have only been to the beach a few times in their lives. I not only work on the beach all week, but can hang out there on the weekends. 



The terrapin have been coming ashore to lay their eggs! They are usually not too concerned with me and just keep chugging across the sand. I've seen so many in the last few weeks when I had only seen one or two in the prior 2 months. 




Ghost crabs are my enemy. There are so many of them! They jump out and startle me and are also a predator of the eggs and chicks.











 


 1888 shipwreck




I thought this cute little plant was pretty cool - how it managed to grow up in that little broken spot of the shell. It can survive in the sand and managed to get enough sunlight to grow.





No comments:

Post a Comment