Saturday, August 19, 2017

Wild - Life



These swamp hibiscus are beautiful - I was simply taking a still life of them and upon review later realized I captured this bee in action.



Egrets in the rain 






This little fox has been hanging out. She's not really afraid of us, just interested sometimes (other times perturbed that I'm disturbing her naps). I've dubbed her Venus.






Some osprey are scoping out real estate for next season.





Horseshoe crabs employ book gills for respiration. This is something I memorized, but had never actually seen. A piece of this horseshoe crab was missing, perfectly exposing this anatomical feature. I looked at them and go "hey, I get why they call them book gills".






Certain days there are lots of certain things on the beach - last week I had a day full of jellies and blue crab claws. Other days it's balloons and footballs.


I often see deer tracks on the islands and this day I had decided to ask my coworker why I always see tracks but never the deer (it's a pretty flat landscape and I can see from one side of the island to the other most of the time...). It seems this deer was reading my mind because he showed himself! I was walking towards him counting plovers in the intertidal zone and heard him running towards me. He passed me and ran further down the beach, stopped, and looked back. Apparently whatever he was running from was scary than me since he passed me so closely. 







No comments:

Post a Comment